Wednesday, 29 May 2013

History of Las Vegas in Pictures

Las Vegas is now synonymous with gambling, casino, entertainment and tourism. But in the first years of its existence, it was just a major railway junction in the middle of the Mojave Desert, Nevada.  Conventionally, the history of the casinos in Vegas can be divided into four epochs: 1905-1945 - the struggle for recognition, 1946-1960 - getting national fame, 1961-1988 - the golden age of the casino, 1989-2012 - on the world stage.


Las Vegas appeared in the central part of the Mojave Desert after the land auction, which took place on 15 and 16 May 1905. At the time, no one could have predicted the rapid development of the city in the next 100 years.

 

 When the railroad planned to Vegas, they gave a special quarter where you can enjoy a variety of evil things: drink, rent prostitutes, gambling.


Club "Arizona" was the most popular destination for those who came in the 16th quarter for fun.


 At first it was the usual shabby little house, and later became the club monumental building with a tape measure and faro games.


"Arizona Club" was one of the first in the Las Vegas gaming clubs actively promote themselves.


 1908. The Legend of the Wild West Wyatt Earp poses with club owner Al James. In 1919, gambling was outlawed, but in the 16th quarter of the game went underground.


 May 19, 1931 in the state of Nevada gambling was re-enabled. All will fit the bill just 6 pages. Today, the game industry is regulated by the tens of thousands of pages of local and federal regulations.


Also in 1931, just 40 miles from the Las Vegas began construction of the Hoover Dam, which ended in 1936. The emergence of the lake (reservoir) Mead and commissioning of the power plant provided an opportunity for the effective development of the City in the surrounding rocky desert. Questions water and energy for many years were dropped.


Clubs in downtown on Fremont Street quickly became legal gambling halls. Northern Club, owned by Mamie Stoker, was the first licensed gaming establishments Nevada, which had zhenschinea


Boulder Club offering blackjack, craps, roulette, Pharaoh, bingo and taking bets on a variety of competitions.


Bingo has always been popular in Vegas, in the 1930s the game was often called tango. "Keno" then it was more like bingo than today's analog.


Hotel Sal Sagev on Fremont Street, originally called the Hotel Nevada, began operation in 1906. Later it was expanded to additional rooms and a casino. Now called Golden Gate and is the oldest continuously operating hotel in the city.


Hotel El Cortez, opened in 1942, was one of the major holiday destinations in those days. It was significantly expanded (originally there were 90 rooms), but in spite of this building now looks like in the 42nd.


The world-famous neon signs. Club Eldorado was later bought by the legendary Benny Binion and renamed Horseshoe. "Horseshoe" is now one of the most famous names in the gaming industry.


Casino Golden Nugget was opened in 1946 by the former chief of the Los Angeles Police Guy McAfee. It was a tiny game room, and later turned into a luxury hotel and casino.


Historically, the casinos in Las Vegas were only allowed in the city center on Fremont Street. Due to the rapid development of the industry after the Second World places you in starting your own business there was not. This has forced some businesses to open their establishments beyond the administrative boundary of the city. So there was the famed Las Vegas Strip - about semikilometrovy site Las Vegas, which is now the majority of the largest hotels and casinos of Las Vegas metropolitan area.


The hotel-casino El Rancho Vegas became the first object of the Las Vegas Strip. In contrast to the gaming rooms in the center of the city "Rancho" offers a wider range of services. So began to emerge casino-resorts. Currently, the Strip is the set of institutions that combine hotel, shopping mall, park, etc.


Also widespread themed casino. The Last Frontier was a pioneer in this field. Wild West theme has been very popular and widely used. Visitors' Frontira "picked up from the airport on this horse-drawn carriage.


The Flamingo - one of the most legendary casino resorts in Las Vegas Strip. It was opened in late 1946. Billy Wilkerson was the same visionary who started the construction of this luxurious multi-functional object.


The hotel-casino The Desert Inn, open April 24, 1950, was actually a self-contained resort. There was a golf course with 18 holes, luxurious accommodation. After a relaxing day by the pool followed night games at high rates. The place has become the undisputed leader of the Las Vegas Strip.


 On the opening day The Desert Inn was packed to capacity.


Leaflet Fabulous Las Vegas Jack Cortez was the first magazine dedicated to the nightlife of Vegas. There are advertised all the "miracles" of the city, which had the potential to attract visitors.


This photo was taken in the autumn of 1954. Las Vegas Strip, then was still not very impressive. One and two-story buildings even today do not convey the splendor of the boulevard. By the way, neon signs had already been used quite often.

 And do not tell me that they have recently, for example, splashing in the pool or playing golf.


Casino Moulin Rouge was one of the first, which has moved away from racial segregation and opened its doors completely to all visitors. At first it was very successful, but later closed down due to financial problems. In 1961, the rest of the place of the Las Vegas Strip followed the "MR" and began to let everyone regardless of skin color.


 In April 1955 opened with great fanfare hotel-casino Riviera. At the time of discovery, he was the ninth entertainment complex on the Strip and the first high-rise (9 floors). Riviera - the only large entertainment complex on the Las Vegas Strip, which has no theme. All the other hotels, casinos have chosen to lure tourists any specific subject.


 After the "Riviera" many other casinos started planning high-rise buildings. On the slide depicts the famous tower of the hotel-casino Sands. Martin Stern has designed her junior.


PR-directors are constantly trying to come up with some innovative "chips." E Freeman - PR-director of Sands - offered to put tables for blackjack, craps and roulette straight to the pool.


 In the evenings, many casinos are all kinds of celebrations. In the photo the so-called Copa Room in Sands, is allotted for these purposes.


 Like many other casinos in Sands had its own dance troupe. Copa Girls were held in most of the hotel shows.


 In 1958 he opened a resort-casino Stardust 800 rooms. At that time it was the largest resort in the Strip. Neon sign was visible from a distance that is constantly aroused the curiosity of potential customers. One time institution began to pursue financial problems. Owners discharged from Paris burlesque and cabaret show The Lido, which helped to keep the visitors.


The first half-naked Vegas show Lido de Paris marked the beginning of a pen and Strass extravaganza.


Entertainment establishments in population density contributed to the weekend. To fill the hotels during the week, at the end of the 50th there were held the various conventions. In the photo session at the National Automobile Dealers Sands.


 Vegas is also famous for its weddings. At the end of the 50th casinos started offering customers special wedding ceremony. And the celebrities did not hesitate to use them. In the photo the famous American entertainer, singer and actor Sammy Davis Jr. and his wife Lore. This wedding has helped to stimulate interest in the service from others.


 Meanwhile, the places on the Fremont Street tried to keep up with the development of the Las Vegas Strip. In 1956, it opened a 15-storied hotel «Fremont».


 In 1964, the casino-hotel Mint built next door to a high-rise.


 Hotels Mint and Fremont.


 Postcard-Guide to Vegas late 50's.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...